The University of California Board of Regents voted today (July 18) to increase nonresident tuition for the 2002-2003 academic year. At this point, California resident fees are not expected to rise in the new academic year, making it the eighth consecutive year that mandatory systemwide student fees have not increased.
The university’s original budget for 2002-03 anticipated a 4 percent nonresident tuition increase in fall 2002. However, with California’s state budget shortfall threatening the continuation of several university programs, the Legislature’s budget conference committee proposed an additional 6 percent increase in undergraduate nonresident tuition, for a total increase of 10 percent beginning with the fall term.
The increase in nonresident tuition will help preserve funding for important UC outreach efforts to K-12 students, including such programs as School-University Partnerships, Central Valley Outreach, Urban School Collaborative and others.
Additionally, the Regents had expressed concerns about UC’s ability to meet the rising cost of providing health benefits to its employees under the new state budget. Undergraduate nonresident tuition will increase by another 6 percent in spring 2003 as one of a number of strategies to help fund UC employee health benefits.
Nonresident tuition for graduate students will be limited to a 4 percent increase, effective with the fall term.
In all, nonresident undergraduate tuition will rise $1,305 for the 2002-03 academic year, from $10,704 to $12,009. The increase for nonresident graduate students will be $428, from $10,704 to $11,132. Nonresident students also pay the Registration and Educational Fees.
UC’s total nonresident fees for undergraduates are expected to be about $594 less than the estimated average of total fees charged at four public institutions used for fee-comparison purposes (Illinois, Michigan, SUNY and Virginia.) Total fees for nonresident graduate students are expected to be about $869 below the same group’s average.
UC sets nonresident tuition consistent with a state policy
that ties tuition levels to the actual cost of instruction
and to the nonresident charges of its comparison institutions.