Eight University of California campuses were included in the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings for 2011-12. All ranked UC campuses were among the top 200 in the rankings, which include 400 universities worldwide.
Rankings were determined by evaluating schools in these categories:
- Teaching — the learning environment (worth 30 percent of the overall ranking score)
- Research — volume, income and reputation (worth 30 percent)
- Citations — research influence (worth 30 percent)
- Industry income — innovation (worth 2.5 percent)
- International outlook — staff, students and research (worth 7.5 percent)