In the News
March 3, 2015
Hobbes the terrier mix can do a lot, for a dog with three legs. Even so, his owner and a few of her fellow UC Davis graduate students are determined to give him a fourth leg.
March 2, 2015
Recommendations to the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee include one by UC's Nutrition Policy Institute to add water to MyPlate.
March 2, 2015
Field Poll results released last week reveal that a majority of California voters view K-12 schools and higher education as areas in the state budget that deserve more funding.
- New method to genetically identify disease markers
- Scientists describe novel drug mechanism that fights brain cancer
- Perfect storm of drought and unrest
- Pens filled with high-tech inks for DIY sensors
- New UC projects target greenhouse gas emissions
- How were fossil tracks so well preserved?
- UC Merced forges partnership with Kathmandu University
- UC leads nation in NIH biomedical research funds
- Transcending borders through education
- Change agent
- 'Eating for two' no longer holds weight
- Lake Tahoe research provides new insights on global change
- Income inequality is taking a toll on the health of American workers
- Eat.Think.Design course opens minds about public health solutions
- Florentine 'patient' gets high-tech physical
- Why do geysers erupt? Loops in their plumbing
- Increased risk from toxoplasmosis
- A solution to puzzle of the origin of matter in the universe
- U.N.'s Hilal Elver discusses right to food at UCLA
- Ocean acidification threatens coastal communities across the U.S.
February 26, 2015
The UC-Mexico Initiative Advisory Board advises on policy and resources and oversees working groups – on energy, education, health, environment, arts and culture – as well as a task force on student mobility.
February 19, 2015
UC has taken a series of steps to combat global climate change by investing in sustainability, including becoming the first university in the world to sign the Montreal Carbon Pledge.
February 18, 2015
President Napolitano writes to Secretary of Education Arne Duncan about the draft framework for the new college ratings system.
February 10, 2015
UC President Napolitano spoke Monday at the U.S. Department of Energy's ARPA-E Energy Innovation Summit to highlight the university’s investments in sustainability and its groundbreaking research enterprise.
UC Davis' Kimber Stanhope explains how the new Nutrition Facts label will reveal the amount of sugar that is added to our foods.
Cells are like night club bouncers, says UC San Diego's Amro Hamdoun: With every substance that a cell encounters, it has to decide which to eliminate and which to let in.
Gregory Weiss, UC Irvine chemistry professor, talks about 'unboiling' egg white proteins and returning them to their original state. The ability to quickly restore molecular proteins could slash biotechnology costs and dramatically reduce the costs for cancer treatments.
The iron in our blood, the silicon in your computer, the oxygen that we breath — all of those elements were synthesized inside a star. UC Santa Cruz astrophysicist Enrico Ramirez-Ruiz walks us through the process from a star's beginning to its death.