All-time record-high number of applicants apply to UC, with Chicano/Latino students comprising largest proportion
UC Office of the President
January 28, 2021
The University of California announced today (Jan. 28) that the system received for fall 2021 admission the highest number of undergraduate applications in its history, even in the midst of a global pandemic. Highlights among California freshmen include a jump in overall applications and surges among African American and Chicano/Latino students, while California Community College transfer applications also grew by an impressive margin.
- UC San Diego approves new undergraduate degree in Black Diaspora and African American Studies
- Spotting cows from space
- A path toward clean drinking water for all Californians
- Will AI write the next great American novel?
- Could wildfires ruin our wine?
- For COVID-19 long-haulers, few answers, but meditation and peer support offer some relief
- How to resocialize after the pandemic
- Did racism kill Jackie Robinson?
- Could California put solar panels on top of canals?
- Up close with Iceland’s new (and erupting) volcano
- The incredible bacterial ‘homing missiles’ that scientists want to harness
- Testing strategies for safer air travel during the pandemic
- FDA approves first test of CRISPR to correct genetic defect causing sickle cell disease
- 'Another glass ceiling shattered'
- A new theory for Zoom fatigue
- The K-12 post-pandemic classroom
- New sitcom produced by UC Riverside’s Reza Aslan brings humor and heart to assimilation
- UC Santa Cruz joins new consortium to ensure future of SlaveVoyages database
- Historical photographs of César Chávez available through UC Merced library
- When ‘eradicated’ species bounce back with a vengeance
April 13, 2021
University of California President Michael V. Drake, M.D., issued the following statement today (April 13):
Sunday’s killing of Daunte Wright is yet another senseless tragedy that tears at our hearts and reopens deep wounds. Even as Americans follow the murder trial of Derek Chauvin, this latest horror vividly conjures the trauma and heartbreak of the killing of George Floyd just a few miles away. And so many, too many, others.
March 31, 2021
University of California Health (UCH) medical, nursing and public health schools achieved national recognition in the latest U.S. News & World Report rankings of Best Graduate Schools for 2022. The rankings are one measure of a school’s quality, and prospective students often refer to them when deciding where to apply.
March 16, 2021
The University of California today (March 16) announced a pioneering open access agreement with the world’s largest scientific publisher, Elsevier, making significantly more of the University’s research available to people worldwide — immediately and at no cost. The deal will put more UC research into the hands of individuals across the globe at a time when international collaboration to fight COVID-19 has illuminated the value of open access to scientific findings.
March 15, 2021
As the nation’s premier public research institution and California’s third-largest employer, the University of California has taken bold steps to confront the existential threat of climate change and to harness the power of science to create solutions. While UC is a national leader among universities in its efforts to lower its greenhouse gas emissions and to invest in clean energy, the University recognizes it will take collective action to pull us back from the brink of disaster given the scale and severity of the climate crisis. The University therefore welcomes a stronger partnership with the federal government to embark on a new period of innovation and discovery and looks forward to seeing how our renowned faculty contribute to addressing this crisis.
Meet the 2021 UC Startup Innovation Challenge Social Impact Prize award winners
The inaugural Social Impact Prize is a $10,000 award in recognition of startups that are driving social change and justice, reducing environmental impacts, or providing access, resources and opportunities to underserved groups through innovation.
A message to the UC community from President Michael V. Drake, M.D.
As Michael V. Drake, M.D., assumes his new role as UC’s 21st president, he sends his greetings and gratitude to the entire university community.
How to answer UC's Personal Insight Questions
About to start the Personal Insight Questions for the UC undergraduate application? Here are some helpful tips on what the questions are about and what they cover.