All-time record-high number of applicants apply to UC, with Chicano/Latino students comprising largest proportion
UC Office of the President
January 28, 2021
The University of California announced today (Jan. 28) that the system received for fall 2021 admission the highest number of undergraduate applications in its history, even in the midst of a global pandemic. Highlights among California freshmen include a jump in overall applications and surges among African American and Chicano/Latino students, while California Community College transfer applications also grew by an impressive margin.
- The Kidney Project successfully tests a prototype bioartificial kidney
- The technologies that could solve California’s droughts
- UC Santa Cruz Hispanic-Serving Institution Initiatives launching new programs to advance educational equity
- Planet maven Shannon Curry takes over mission to Mars
- Grow and eat your own vaccines?
- Personality matters, even for squirrels
- UC campuses earn top spots in U.S. News & World Report’s 2022 Best Colleges rankings
- How 9/11 changed America
- Maryam Karimi: This generation in Afghanistan will not give up
- Shang-Chi, an Asian superhero, comes to the big screen
- The archaic law stopping climate activists from keeping oil in the ground
- It’s not just SARS-CoV-2: Most respiratory viruses spread by aerosols
- UC is the top college in America, according to new Forbes rankings
- How the Purdue opioid settlement could help the public understand the roots of the drug crisis
- Holding stellar nurseries in your hands
- Sucrose and high fructose corn syrup both linked to increased health risk
- Struggling to learn a new language? Blame it on your stable brain
- How much wildfire smoke is infiltrating our homes?
- COVID-19 during pregnancy associated with preterm birth
- UC Berkeley students, staff and faculty launch Afghan scholar rescue campaign
September 13, 2021
Six University of California campuses are among the top 10 public universities in America, according to U.S. News & World Report’s 2022 Best Colleges rankings, released today (Sept. 13). The magazine also placed eight of UC’s undergraduate campuses on its coveted list of the top 100 public and private universities across the country.
August 31, 2021
The University of California’s Office of the Chief Investment Officer (UC Investments) announced today (August 31) that its assets under management grew to $168 billion as of June 30, 2021, a 29 percent jump over the prior fiscal year and the largest one-year gain in its history. The additional $38 billion in assets over the previous year represents a 77 percent increase since 2014.
August 20, 2021
University of California Board of Regents Chair Cecilia V. Estolano and President Michael V. Drake, M.D., welcomed Gov. Gavin Newsom’s appointment of Jose Hernandez to UC’s governing board and released the following statements today (Aug. 20):
July 28, 2021
The hospitals of University of California Health (UCH) once again have been rated among the best in the state and the nation, according to U.S. News & World Report’s 2021-2022 Best Hospitals rankings.
President Michael V. Drake, M.D., reflects on an extraordinary year
The UC president marks his first year in office — with all its triumphs and challenges — and shares his optimism for the future of such a resilient community.
Let’s get vaccinated, for our families and communities, says UC President Drake
All of us have a role to play in bringing the pandemic to an end. UC President Michael V. Drake, M.D., explains why the COVID-19 vaccine is the best way we can protect ourselves and the people we love.
Meet the 2021 UC Startup Innovation Challenge Social Impact Prize award winners
The inaugural Social Impact Prize is a $10,000 award in recognition of startups that are driving social change and justice, reducing environmental impacts, or providing access, resources and opportunities to underserved groups through innovation.