University of California graduate schools rank among the best programs in the country in a U.S. News and World Report survey released today (March 20).
The U.S. News 2019 Best Graduate Schools list reviewed graduate programs across six major disciplines: business, education, engineering, law, medicine and nursing. In each discipline, all or nearly all UC graduate schools were ranked.
A few highlights:
- UC San Francisco’s School of Medicine ranked second in primary care and fifth in research — the only school in the country to rank in the top five for both categories.
- All of UC’s education, engineering, law and medical schools were ranked, with UCLA’s Graduate School of Education and Information Studies moving up from No. 3 last year to claim the top spot.
- When last ranked in 2018, UC also had several No. 1-ranked graduate programs (some of which are not reviewed annually), including: chemistry (UC Berkeley), clinical psychology (UCLA), computer science (UC Berkeley), critical theory (UC Irvine), economics (UC Berkeley), English (UC Berkeley), nursing midwifery (UCSF), part-time MBA (UC Berkeley), psychology (UC Berkeley), sociology (UC Berkeley) and veterinary medicine (UC Davis).
The annual Best Graduate Schools rankings are based on two types of data: expert opinions about program excellence and statistical indicators that measure the quality of a school’s faculty, research output and student achievement. These include factors such as employment rates and starting salaries for graduates and standardized test scores of newly enrolled students.
Below are UC's ranked schools in the six main disciplines. For specialty programs within these areas, go to the Best Graduate Schools site.
Five of UC’s business schools were ranked:
7. UC Berkeley Haas School of Business
16. UCLA Anderson School of Management
37. UC Davis Graduate School of Management
42. UC Irvine Paul Merage School of Business
89. UC Riverside A. Gary Anderson Graduate School of Management
All eight of UC’s schools of education were ranked:
1. UCLA Graduate School of Education and Information Studies
19. UC Berkeley Graduate School of Education
24. UC Irvine School of Education
37. UC Davis School of Education
54. UC Santa Barbara Gevirtz Graduate School of Education
68. UC San Diego Department of Education Studies
70. UC Riverside Graduate School of Education
89. UC Santa Cruz Education Department
All nine of UC’s engineering schools were ranked:
3. UC Berkeley College of Engineering
12. UC San Diego Jacobs School of Engineering
16. UCLA Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science
24. UC Santa Barbara College of Engineering
33. UC Davis College of Engineering
35. UC Irvine Henry Samueli School of Engineering
61. UC Riverside Bourns College of Engineering
86. UC Santa Cruz Jack Baskin School of Engineering
132. UC Merced School of Engineering
All five of UC’s law schools were ranked:
9. UC Berkeley School of Law
16. UCLA School of Law
21. UC Irvine School of Law
37. UC Davis School of Law
58. UC Hastings College of the Law
All six UC medical schools were ranked in research:
5. UCSF School of Medicine
8. UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine
22. UC San Diego School of Medicine
39. UC Davis School of Medicine
46. UC Irvine School of Medicine
93. UC Riverside School of Medicine
Medicine: Primary care
Five UC medical schools were ranked in primary care:
2. UCSF School of Medicine
4. UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine
10. UC Davis School of Medicine
17. UC San Diego School of Medicine
77. UC Irvine School of Medicine
All four UC nursing schools were ranked:
11. UCSF School of Nursing
20. UCLA School of Nursing
46. UC Davis Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing
66. UC Irvine Sue & Bill Gross School of Nursing