University of California graduate schools rank among the nation’s top programs in a survey released today (March 16) by U.S. News and World Report.
U.S. News’ 2017 Best Graduate Schools guide evaluates graduate schools for business, education, engineering, law, medicine and nursing, and specialties within each area. In each discipline, all or nearly all UC graduate schools were ranked.
A few highlights:
- UC San Francisco’s School of Medicine ranked third in both research and primary care – the only school in the country to rank in the top five for both categories. The Doctor of Pharmacy program at UCSF’s School of Pharmacy ranked third nationwide. UCSF’s School of Nursing also ranked third, and was the top-ranked public university, while UCLA’s School of Nursing rose seven places to No. 12. In clinical psychology, UC had the nation’s top two programs: UCLA ranked first and UC Berkeley second.
- Several UC schools of education climbed in the rankings from the previous year: UCLA rose two places to No. 11, UC Irvine rose six places to No. 25, UC Santa Barbara rose 18 places to No. 49, UC Riverside rose 14 places to No. 62, UC San Diego rose 25 places to No. 74 and UC Santa Cruz rose 32 places to No. 78.
- UC had two law schools in the top 20 and its other three law schools climbed in the rankings from the previous year: UC Irvine rose two places to No. 28, UC Davis rose one place to No. 30 and UC Hastings rose nine places to No. 50.
- UC Berkeley’s School of Social Welfare moved up four places to No. 3.
The annual Best Graduate Schools rankings are based on two types of data: expert opinions about program excellence and statistical indicators that measure the quality of a school’s faculty, research output and student achievement.
Below are UC's ranked schools in the six main disciplines. For specialty programs within these areas, go to the Best Graduate Schools site.
All six of UC’s business schools were ranked:
7. UC Berkeley Haas School of Business
15. UCLA Anderson School of Management
45. UC Davis Graduate School of Management
48. UC Irvine Paul Merage School of Business
77. UC San Diego Rady School of Management
Ranked: UC Riverside A. Gary Anderson Graduate School of Management
Of note: UC Berkeley’s business school had the No. 1 part-time MBA program, and UCLA’s was No. 4. For executive MBA programs, UC Berkeley ranked No. 8 and UCLA was No. 9.
In education, all eight of UC’s schools were ranked:
11. UCLA Graduate School of Education and Information Studies
18. UC Berkeley Graduate School of Education
25. UC Irvine School of Education
49. UC Santa Barbara Gevirtz Graduate School of Education
51. UC Davis School of Education
62. UC Riverside Graduate School of Education
74. UC San Diego Department of Education Studies
78. UC Santa Cruz Education Department
All nine of UC’s engineering schools were ranked:
3. UC Berkeley College of Engineering
14. UCLA Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science
17. UC San Diego Jacobs School of Engineering
23. UC Santa Barbara College of Engineering
33. UC Davis College of Engineering
37. UC Irvine Henry Samueli School of Engineering
71. UC Riverside Bourns College of Engineering
87. UC Santa Cruz Jack Baskin School of Engineering
Ranked: UC Merced School of Engineering
All five of UC’s law schools were ranked:
8. UC Berkeley School of Law
17. UCLA School of Law
28. UC Irvine School of Law
30. UC Davis School of Law
50. UC Hastings College of the Law
Five UC medical schools were ranked in research:
3. UC San Francisco School of Medicine
14. UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine
18. UC San Diego School of Medicine
44. UC Irvine School of Medicine
47. UC Davis School of Medicine
Medicine: Primary care
Five UC medical schools were ranked in primary care:
3. UC San Francisco School of Medicine
6. UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine
21. UC San Diego School of Medicine
37. UC Davis School of Medicine
62. UC Irvine School of Medicine
UC’s three nursing schools were ranked:
3. UC San Francisco School of Nursing
12. UCLA School of Nursing
58. UC Davis Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing
In other health-related rankings this year, UCLA ranked first, UC Berkeley ranked second and UC San Diego ranked 25th in clinical psychology, while UCSF ranked third and UC San Diego 25th in pharmacy. In social work, UC Berkeley ranked third and UCLA ranked 12th.
The rankings also include previous assessments of a number of other health fields, which U.S. News surveys but not on an annual basis. UC Davis was recognized as the nation’s best veterinary school, while in public health UC Berkeley ranked ninth and UCLA was 10th. The surveys do not rank dental or optometry schools.