University of California President Janet Napolitano today (Sept. 13) announced the formation of an advisory committee of university faculty, staff, students, alumni and foundation representatives to help in the international search for a new chancellor to lead UC Davis. Board of Regents Chair Monica Lozano also appointed five regents to serve.
Ralph Hexter, the campus provost who has served as acting chancellor since April will continue as interim chancellor until a permanent chancellor is appointed.
The members of the search advisory committee for the UC Davis chancellor include:
- UC President Janet Napolitano
- UC Board of Regents Chair Monica Lozano
- UC Regents Bonnie Reiss, George Kieffer, Charlene Zettel, Anthony Rendon and Harvey Brody
- Shane White, vice chair of the systemwide Academic Senate leadership
- UC Davis faculty representatives Diana Farmer, professor and chair, Department of Surgery; Rachael Goodhue, professor and chair, Agricultural and Resource Economics and chair of the Davis Academic Senate; Ari Kelman, professor, History
- Oscar Dubon, professor of Materials Science and Engineering, UC Berkeley, and Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory faculty scientist serving as associate dean for equity and inclusion and student affairs in the College of Engineering
- Elly Oltersdorf, undergraduate student and 2015-16 co-chair, Student Council on Campus Climate
- Brian Riley, the 2010-11 chair of the UC Davis Graduate Student Association (GSA) and currently a Ph.D. candidate in the UC Davis School of Education
- Debby Stegura, president of the Cal Aggie Alumni Association
- Jessica Potts, chief administrative officer in the Department of Chemistry and past chair of the UC Davis Staff Assembly
- Mike Child, immediate past president of the UC Davis Foundation
The committee's first meeting will be held September 27 at the UC Davis Pavilion, where members and invited guests will gather in a closed session. The forum will include remarks by President Napolitano, followed by separate sessions with various campus constituency groups. The president and committee members will also participate in a luncheon with alumni, donors and community leaders.
The advisory committee will be involved in recruiting, screening and conducting interviews with candidates for the position. The committee's work will be scheduled so that candidates can be presented to President Napolitano for consideration and a recommended nominee submitted to the Board of Regents, tentatively by January 2017.
In addition to presentations by those constituency representatives who will meet with the committee, public comments are encouraged throughout the search process. Comments may be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The search will be assisted by the executive search firm Isaacson, Miller.
• More information about the search: https://www.ucdavis.edu/administration/chancellor-search/
• Regents' policy on the appointment of chancellors: http://regents.universityofcalifornia.edu/governance/policies/7102.html
• More news and information about the University of California: www.universityofcalifornia.edu
• UC Davis media contact: Dana Topousis, (530) 752-9841, email@example.com