As UC and California grapple with the widespread effects of the pandemic, continued investments from the federal government are essential to help us recover and return to normal.
Together, UC and the state of California open doors of opportunity for the next generation, using federal funding to advance scientific and technological breakthroughs, and to provide world-class medical training and patient care. The federal government is a vital partner, and we need its help. Let Congress know that you support investments in UC and California – will you call your legislators?
We need the next COVID-19 bill to include funds that will directly support our communities:
- Targeted funding for the Public Health and Social Services Emergency Fund to ensure that safety net health care providers, including public academic medical centers, can cover the costs of this pandemic and continue to fulfill their public service mission.
- $48 billion for the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund to provide both students and the higher education institutions that serve them with the financial support needed to weather the economic downturn.
- Additional funding for our nation’s research enterprise to ensure that critical work continues in our labs and that we don’t lose the next generation of researchers.
- Direct investments to states and territories so they can respond to the virus and provide services critical to the health and well-being of residents.
Calling your legislators takes less than five minutes. Just enter your information and wait for your phone to ring. Tips for making a call:
- Expect to speak with a staff member and be prepared to provide your name, town and, possibly, your zip code.
- Did you reach the office’s voicemail? That’s OK: leave a message!
- Explain why you are calling and what action you would like your legislator to take – funding for higher education institutions and states.
- When you’re done, thank the staff member for talking with you.