Be seen. Be heard. Be a UC advocate...
Apply to become a UCAN Student Ambassador!
Want to make UC better for all students? Interested in getting résumé-building experience with political advocacy and public affairs? If the answer to those questions is yes, apply now to be a UCAN student ambassador. If selected, you’ll join a dynamic community of students from across UC who represent student interests to state and federal government. You’ll help influence state policies and budget decisions that impact UC, and work to ensure that state lawmakers hear and understand your point of view.
What we are looking for
- A strong passion for advocacy and public engagement.
- An understanding of the student organizations and activities on your campus.
- A willingness to conduct student engagement and outreach.
What you will do
- Recruit students on campus to join the UC Advocacy Network.
- Work with systemwide and campus-wide advocacy teams to understand how legislation and the state budget impact the UC system.
- Mobilize students to take action on state and federal campaigns.
- Share outreach strategies and share best practices with other ambassadors.
- Qualified ambassadors may attend a budget advocacy day in Sacramento to testify at a budget hearing and meet directly with legislators and staff.*
- Participate in monthly meetings from 10:00 - 10:45 am on the following dates: October 27, November 17, December 8, January 12, February 16, March 30, April 20, May 18, and June 8. (If additional calls are needed we will let you know as soon as possible. Absences must be excused in advance. If you have more than two unexcused absences, you are subject to dismissal from the program.)
*Ambassadors must meet the eligibility criteria to participate in the Sacramento trip. This includes, but is not limited to, actively participating in all UCAN outreach and campaign activities and attending a majority of the video conference calls unless excused. Accepted student ambassadors will receive more information on the criteria. We will continue to adhere to local, state and federal guidelines regarding COVID-19. Given the uncertainty around future guidelines, it is possible that the Ambassador program and related activities may be partially or completely online. You will be notified as soon as possible of changes to the program.
- The UCAN ambassador program is open to both undergraduate and graduate students.
- No student government experience is required.
- You must be able to commit at least 10 hours per month for outreach and engagement activities.
Applications for the 2020-21 cohort are now closed. Please check back in April 2021 for updates regarding the next application period.