The UC Advocacy Network (UCAN) is a community made up of students, alumni, faculty, and community members who lend their voices to shape state and federal policies promoting the University of California’s mission of education, research and public service.
Apply to become a UCAN Student Ambassador!
Want to make UC better for all students? Interested in getting résumé-building experience with political advocacy and public affairs? If the answer to those questions is yes, apply now to be a UCAN student ambassador.
If selected, you’ll join a dynamic community of students from across UC who represent student interests to state government. You’ll help influence state policies and budget decisions that affect UC, and work to ensure that state lawmakers hear and understand your point of view.
What we are looking for
- A strong passion for advocacy and public engagement.
- An understanding of the student organizations and activities on your campus.
- A willingness to conduct student engagement and outreach.
What you will do
- Attend a budget advocacy day in Sacramento.
- Testify at a state budget hearing and meet directly with legislators and staff.
- Work with systemwide and campus-wide advocacy teams to understand how legislation and the state budget impact the UC system.
- Recruit students on campus to join the UC Advocacy Network.
- Mobilize students to act on calls-to-action that impact UC.
- Share outreach strategies and share best practices with other ambassadors.
- The UCAN ambassador program is open to both undergraduate and graduate students.
- No student government experience is required.
- You must be able to commit 15-20 hours per month for outreach and engagement activities.
Applications are now closed. For more information contact Jennifer.Brice@ucop.edu.