UC Dual Admission Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Who qualifies for UC’s Dual Admission program?

A: Any California freshman applicant (including both California resident students and students who qualify for AB 540 benefits) who applies as a high school senior for freshman admission for the fall 2023, 2024 or 2025 term may participate in the Dual Admission program if they meet the following criteria:

  • Applies but is not admitted to a UC campus;
  • Has at least a 3.0 UC GPA at the time of application;
  • Is missing one or more A-G subject requirements at the time of high school graduation; and,
  • Is graduating from a California high school.

Q: Why is this program restricted to the UC campuses that participate in the Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG)?

A: This is a three-year pilot program that builds on the strengths and infrastructure of UC’s pre-existing TAG program, which is currently offered at UC Davis, UC Irvine, UC Merced, UC Riverside, UC Santa Barbara and UC Santa Cruz. UC’s three other undergraduate campuses — UC Berkeley, UCLA and UC San Diego — have been unable to offer the Transfer Admission Guarantee due to enrollment capacity concerns. They are exploring the possibility of creating limited guarantee programs for some less impacted majors within the Dual Admission program.

Q: Are undocumented California students eligible for this program? How about international students?

A: This program is intended for California freshman applicants (including both California resident students and undocumented and DACA students who have attended a California high school and qualify for AB 540 benefits). Students who are in the U.S. on a non-immigrant visa will not qualify for Dual Admission; however, TAG is available at the California Community Colleges (CCCs) for any student who meets the requirements, including international students.

Q: Are homeschooled California students eligible for this program?

A: Homeschooled students who are working with their local California high school district to complete appropriate coursework and earn a valid high school diploma will qualify for this program if they are a California resident, have at least a 3.0 GPA, are missing one or more A-G requirements, and are not offered admission to any UC campus to which they applied.

Q: What about students who don’t apply to UC because they know they haven’t completed their A-G requirements? Can they opt into the program?

A: Only students who apply for freshman admission and meet the Dual Admission criteria can participate in the Dual Admission program. However, any student who enrolls at a California Community College can earn guaranteed transfer admission to a participating UC campus upon successful completion of the TAG or Pathways+ requirements.

Q: What other benefits, besides guaranteed transfer admission upon completion of program requirements, will be available to Dual Admission students?

A: Students who participate in the Dual Admission program may access the following benefits:

  • Advising from the Dual Admission coordinator who can facilitate their communication with the target UC campus and community college advisers;
  • Access, where available, to UC libraries;
  • Invitation to transfer events hosted by their community college and target UC campus;
  • Provisional information about federal, state and UC financial aid; and
  • Waiver of UC application fee when student applies for transfer admission to the Dual Admission campus. (Note: Students who qualify for the income-based application fee waiver will also have the cost of application covered for up to four additional campuses.)

Q: Do students have to complete an associate degree in order to transfer to UC?

A: UC does not require an associate degree to transfer, and will not require such a degree for Dual Admission applicants.

Q: Are Dual Admission students required to enroll at the UC campus they first select when they enroll at a California Community College?

A: Students who opt into the Dual Admission program will be required to select a UC campus for transfer prior to beginning their first term at a California Community College (CCC). However, just as with TAG/Pathways+, students can apply to any other UC campus(es) once they meet the transfer requirements. They are not obligated to enroll at the Dual Admission campus.

Q: Will Dual Admission students receive guidance on their progress?

A: Students may seek support and guidance from counselors at their community college, along with UC campus admissions advisers and a UC Office of the President program coordinator to help them stay on track for transfer. Students will also be encouraged to use the UC Transfer Admission Planner (UC TAP) so advisers can more easily monitor their progress.

Q: How long will students receive services?

A: Students will receive Dual Admission services for up to three years or until they transfer to UC, whichever comes first.