University of California graduate schools ranked among the nation’s top programs in a survey released today (March 14) by U.S. News and World Report.
U.S. News’ 2018 Best Graduate Schools guide evaluates graduate schools for business, education, engineering, law, medicine and nursing and specialties within each area. In each discipline, all or nearly all UC graduate schools were ranked.
A few highlights:
- UC San Francisco’s School of Medicine ranked third in primary care and fourth in research — the only school in the country to rank in the top five for both categories.
- All of UC’s business, education, engineering and law schools were ranked, with UCLA’s Graduate School of Education and Information Studies moving up eight spots from the previous year to No. 3.
- UC had several No. 1-ranked graduate programs (some of which are not reviewed annually), including: chemistry (UC Berkeley), clinical psychology (UCLA), computer science (UC Berkeley), critical theory (UC Irvine), economics (UC Berkeley), English (UC Berkeley), nursing midwifery (UCSF), part-time MBA (UC Berkeley), psychology (UC Berkeley), sociology (UC Berkeley) and veterinary medicine (UC Davis).
The annual Best Graduate Schools rankings are based on two types of data: expert opinions about program excellence and statistical indicators that measure the quality of a school’s faculty quality, research output and student achievement.
Below are UC's ranked schools in the six main disciplines. For specialty programs within these areas, go to the Best Graduate Schools site.
All six of UC’s business schools were ranked:
7. UC Berkeley Haas School of Business
15. UCLA Anderson School of Management
42. UC Davis Graduate School of Management
44. UC Irvine Paul Merage School of Business
82. UC San Diego Rady School of Management
93. UC Riverside A. Gary Anderson Graduate School of Management
In education, all eight of UC’s schools were ranked:
3. UCLA Graduate School of Education and Information Studies
18. UC Berkeley Graduate School of Education
25. UC Irvine School of Education
36. UC Davis School of Education
52. UC Santa Barbara Gevirtz Graduate School of Education
69. UC San Diego Department of Education Studies
72. UC Riverside Graduate School of Education
101. UC Santa Cruz Education Department
All nine of UC’s engineering schools were ranked:
3. UC Berkeley College of Engineering
13. UC San Diego Jacobs School of Engineering
16. UCLA Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science
19. UC Santa Barbara College of Engineering
34. UC Davis College of Engineering
37. UC Irvine Henry Samueli School of Engineering
67. UC Riverside Bourns College of Engineering
85. UC Santa Cruz Jack Baskin School of Engineering
127. UC Merced School of Engineering
All five of UC’s law schools were ranked:
12. UC Berkeley School of Law
15. UCLA School of Law
28. UC Irvine School of Law
39. UC Davis School of Law
54. UC Hastings College of the Law
Five UC medical schools were ranked in research:
4. UCSF School of Medicine
11. UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine
18. UC San Diego School of Medicine
45. UC Davis School of Medicine
48. UC Irvine School of Medicine
Medicine: Primary care
Five UC medical schools were ranked in primary care:
3. UCSF School of Medicine
6. UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine
12. UC San Diego School of Medicine
18. UC Davis School of Medicine
71. UC Irvine School of Medicine
Three UC nursing schools were ranked:
15. UCLA School of Nursing
52. UC Davis Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing
82. UC Irvine Sue & Bill Gross School of Nursing
The UCSF School of Nursing was also highly rated in the new U.S. News rankings. UCSF was in the top 10 in all five of the nursing programs offered by the school that are ranked by the magazine — adult gerontology acute care; adult gerontology primary care; family; pediatric primary care; and psychiatric/mental health across the lifespan. Due to an administrative oversight, the school as a whole was not included in the overall rankings this year.